Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What Am I Doing Wrong?

I know that the "three's" are considered the new "two's," but for some reason I can't help but think I'm doing it all wrong. It seems that my days are filled with not being able to please my child one iota.

Sage has an ginormous streak of stubborn mixed with a plethora of will and she does not seem to grasp the concept that she cannot have her way all of the time. Every little thing turns into a Oscar winning performance with her, in the category of collosal meltdowns and tantrums. She blatantly ignores requests for her to do things and defies demands after she has worn my patience thinner than I ever thought possible. If she is asked to pick up her toys, she pulls more out and makes a larger mess or runs in the other direction. When she is told it is bathtime, she promptly tells me that she doesn't feel like it and then screams bloody murder all the way up the stairs. She has started making things up to get out of bedtime, with her favorite being "I have to go potty."

Her teachers at daycare love her. They tell me how well behaved she is and that she always listens and does what is requested of her. It's like she is a different child the minute she enters the building. Upon exiting, let the games begin. I just don't get it. I don't give in to her demands, but not doing so leads to screams and growls (yes ... growls) and complete pandimonium. She will make herself physically ill with her theatrics and will go on for hours if she does not get what she wants.

People keep telling me she will grow out of it, but I'm not so sure. I've wondered to myself recently what the youngest age of a child ever sent to military school is! I can't imagine her ever being a follower and know that she will always be strong and independent, but it's got to give somewhere. She teeters from being sweet and loving to being a little tyrant as soon as she doesn't get her way. The past comparisons to dictators is no joke. She could break the best (meaning worst) of them any day.

I'm at a loss on how to discipline her to get her over the top reactions to cease. Timeouts do not work. They only fuel her rage at not getting what she wants to begin with and end with her a desperate, clingy mess that is sobbing in my lap. Taking things from her doesn't work because she honestly just does not care! I'm working on a board to hang up for a reward system for good behavior and am hanging by the thinnest of threads of hope that this. will. work. If it doesn't, I think I'm just going to the doctor and asking to be committed to the closest psychiatric facility because I'm doing to lose my damned mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home