Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Man and his Dog



My brother has had his dog Sandy as a companion for eleven years. She passed away at 2:00 am this morning after a particularly bad seizure. Their relationship was a special one.

My brother is a diesel mechanic by trade, but during the last several years, he had worked on his ex-wife's family farm. When they separated he went back to mechanics and Sandy went to work with him every day. They were together 24/7.

Her health had been failing for several months and the final straw was getting kicked in the temple by a horse several weeks ago. She has had swelling on her brain which he was trying to control with medication. Last night's seizure was too much for her.

It breaks my heart to think of my brother, alone, at 3:00 am burying his beloved companion in the backyard. I don't know what he will do without her. She's been his rock through a very troubled and nasty divorce and I know he will miss her dearly. As will everyone else.

The picture above is so typical of them. You never saw him without her.

Rest in peace Sandy. Your daddy misses you very much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

I just had to get rid of a dog. My heart is broken and it breaks for your Brother.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home