Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I'm sorry ... I think you have the wrong kid.

Last Friday during my lunch break, I received a call on my cell phone. The number came up and when I saw the area code, I knew it was one of the schools. My first thought ... "what did she do?" I figured Kaylie had either gotten into trouble or was in the nurses office again.

I answer the phone and hear "Hi, this is so-and-so, vice principal at BMS." SO not what I expected.

VP: I just wanted to call and speak with you because Cody got into a fight this morning.

ME: I'm sorry, did you say Cody? Are you sure you have the right kid? The right parent? Cody Adkins?

VP: (Giggles) Yes, I have the right child.

ME: Is he alright?

VP: Oh he's fine. I just had to call because of the incident. Apparently, there are some children in school who think it is funny to jump out and try to scare the other children. When this happened to Cody this morning, he hit the child.

ME: Cody actually hit someone? Are you sure? Cody is the type of kid to startle, call the other kid a name and walk away.

VP: Yes, I've spoken to him about it and he's very sorry. He's been very apologetic. He told me that he's "so sorry ... because he didn't even hit the right boy."

ME: Ummm ... I hate to ask, but can you tell me who the other child was? You see, I just sent out invitations to Cody's birthday party and I really don't want a parent to call me saying "your child just punched my child and now you want me to send him to a party so he can shoot him with paintballs too."

So, Cody got into his first fight. Apparently, these kids have been picking on him. They are a little bully-ish. Cody decided he wasn't dealing with it any longer, popped the kid with a couple of left jabs and then caught his jaw with a right hook. I'm thinking Cody may be a handful sooner, rather than later.

Cody doesn't get into trouble, or fights, or skirmishes. The behavior was quite shocking, but I can't help but feel kind of proud of him for finally taking up for himself. I wish he would have chosen a different way to handle the situation, but he finally handled it instead of pretending it wasn't happening and locking it up inside. Because he doesn't get into trouble and doesn't have a past history in school for bad behavior, he received one day of in-school suspension. Since the "beatdown" took place first thing in the morning, slugger served his sentence on the day it happened.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's definitely a fine line between teaching kids to obey the "zero tolerance for fighting" policy at school, and teaching them not to let other kids bully them. My oldest son once got an in-school suspension for pushing another boy, to stop him from hitting a girl. Personally, I thought my son was in the right, but the school has rules, too. I agree that Cody was right for standing up for himself.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home