Thursday, June 01, 2006

Teething ...

... it's a mixed bag, isn't it? When Sage's first tooth came through sometime from Sunday night to Monday morning, it was no big deal. She hadn't acted any different all weekend and spent a lot of time, as usual, chewing on something. I think that is one of the reasons I was so surprised when I saw it ... other than her continuous drooling and chewing indicating that "teething" and the eruption of a tooth through her little gums was imminent, there really wasn't any indication that it was in the process of happening already. Since Tuesday night, she's been cranky and miserable. Tuesday evening, I chalked it up to her being tired and fighting sleep because she didn't take her evening nap when we got home. She finally fell asleep at 8:15 and was down for the count. When I picked her up from the babysitter yesterday, Phyllis said she didn't have a good day. Huh? Sage? She ALWAYS has a good day. So, I thought maybe she had another tooth coming in and she wouldn't let me look. I popped my thumb in her mouth and she chewed on it long enough for me to THINK that I felt a bump in her gums next to her tooth. When I was slipping my thumb out of her mouth, I pulled her little lip down far enough and just long enough for Phyllis to confirm that there is another tooth just under the gums. My poor monkey ... she's miserable.

I took her exersaucer with her this morning and I am hoping that she will spend much of the day chewing on the teething star on there and get that tooth to break through. I am pretty sure the constant chewing of that star on Sunday and Monday is what helped the first tooth break through. It wasn't often that I looked at her that she wasn't in the process of pulling the thing into her mouth or she already had it in there! In the meantime, we have the infant tylenol handy to help alleviate the soreness and I am currently winning the battle against rubbing alcohol on her gums to numb them. I don't know why I am so set against doing it, but I don't want to. Other than the fear of it making her gag which could cause her to vomit, there really is no logical reason for my not wanting to do so other than the fact that I am just against putting alcohol on a babies gums ... and I don't care how many people do it or have done it in the past! My baby, my rules ... 'nuff said. I'm going to make a trip to Toys R Us at lunchtime and pick up those mesh bags that you can put frozen fruit or vegetables in and see if they help her this evening. I'll have to pick up a bag of frozen peaches or something if I plan on using it as soon as I get home.

I've been searching for a little bedtime prayer or something for her ... something that speaks to me, and it's been a hassle. I have wanted to extend our bedtime ritual that I started a few weeks ago. I've been taking her upstairs to put her down for the night about 15 minutes before I know she is going to fall asleep. She almost always goes to sleep at 9:00pm exactly! I lay her on my bed with one of her stuffed animals and a receiving blanket and we play. When she starts to yawn and her eyelids get heavy, I rub her belly for her and she pulls her blanket up around her face. I know it's only 15 minutes and we don't do much, but it's my time with her where I don't worry about anything else and I get to watch her drift off to sleep. Yesterday, I found a cute little night time poem that I think I will start saying every night as she falls asleep. It goes:

Faery bless, and Faery keep
Faery watch her while she sleeps
Protect her hearth, protect her home
Protect her spirit as she roams
Faery guide her through the night
And keep away the shapeless fright
Faery bless, and Faery keep
Faery watch her as she sleeps

I am sure that someone will take offense once it gets around but I really don't care! Again ... my baby! I'll raise her as I see fit.

I promise to post some more pictures soon. I just downloaded a bunch to the computer last night from the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home